Now that a week has past, and I have been to each of my 5 classes this semester at least once, I can safely say that this course, CSC165 has been the most challenging for me so far. At least this is true for the first week of classes.
Although both math and computer science had been my favourite courses back in high school (because I did well in them), and as such I have quite a lot of background in each of them, I found out this week that it may still not have prepared me enough.
Right when Professor Heap started to talk about functions q0-q3 and their return statements "not all", "any", "all", and "not any", I got lost. Many people in the lecture seemed to have understood perfectly fine and answered everything correctly but even upon hearing their answers, I still couldn't grasp what they meant or how it was deduced. And when the professor started drawing Venn diagrams, I wasn't even trying to make sense of it anymore, so I just copied them down without much thought.
Fortunately, at the end of the week when I decided to print off the lecture slides and read them a second time, I started to better understand what was going on. It also helped that I had MAT137 after CSC165, since that math course helped explain a lot of logic that was necessary for this course.
Despite the early difficulties of the first week, I still really enjoy the concepts of this course now that I have a better understanding.
To better prepare myself for upcoming lectures, I will now plan to read the course notes before each lecture as to avoid being completely lost.
I hope things get easier from now on.
No comments:
Post a Comment